The origins of Badger Mining Corporation (BMC) began in 1949 when Clifford A. Chier opened a single sand mining operation near Fairwater, Wisconsin; originally called the C.A. Chier Sand Company. In 1979, Clifford retired and his son, Russell Chier, and son-in-law, George Hess, formed a new partnership and incorporated as Badger Mining. The company has remained a family owned business to this day. The company currently employs about 275 associates, including members of the fourth generation of the Chier and Hess families.
In 2015, Atlas Resin Proppants merged into Badger Mining Corporation. This merger brought resin coated sand into BMC’s product portfolio.
BMC offices are located in Berlin and Taylor, WI. Our three sand processing facilities are located in Fairwater, Taylor, and Alma Center, WI; our three coating facilities are located in Taylor and Merrillan, WI; and our research and development center is located in Taylor, WI. Additionally, we operate our own transloading facility in George West, TX and several others throughout North America through a network of sub-contractors.